Saturday, September 17, 2005

McAlpin's

Craven images always involve
me crouched on a step-ladder

in the stock room behind men’s accessories
shaving before a cracked display case

creamed coffee down my shirt
panicked at the dark image

that keeps disappearing
every time I move.

Out on the floor
four fattened sales associates

doing the work of one.

I am thinking “what is Bill Monroe
doing right now?”

knowing full well that
he died yesterday.

* * *

Crestwood Hills came alive last night
as it does every night

for the hour-and-change
when after-work headlights

form a creeping chain

illuminate

my way and my means.

3 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger dc nahm said...

I used to hide in the racks at the Hub in the women's department and I would push the button for the tailor and then hide. McAlpin's, Dawhare's and others were special trips, though.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger stark pimp said...

Have they turned the Hub into anything yet?

Once I was crawling around under a rack at Shillitoe's and accidentally tripped the alarm on some expensive women's clothing, the alarm shrieked and I was scolded. I felt wronged but was terrified nonetheless. Ever since I've been much more careful when I've found myself beneath a skirt.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger dc nahm said...

I don't know. I think they were going to turn it into an EKU branch or something. Maybe a bookstore too. But that may not be what it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home